[WikiEN-l] Cliches

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Mar 10 23:38:52 UTC 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote at last:

>On a related note, how do you make a e with an accent mark?

See [[Wikipedia:Special characters]].
The "Entity" column in the table (with all the "&...;" stuff)
shows how to create special characters using only ASCII input.

Why is this a good idea?  (I claim that it is on [[en:]].)
Because some people have browsers that mangle anything else.
(Anthere's browser famously mangles non-Latin-1 characters --
and no insult meant to you, Anthere, you're just a well known example --
and I have occasionally seen even Latin-1 but non-ASCII characters mangled
by various anonymous editors.)  In particular, "é" is "é".

You would want to input the "é" directly on, say, [[fr:]];
how to do that depends on your browser, operating system, and keyboard.

-- Toby