[WikiEN-l] Re: a more "confident" username

Richard Grevers dramatic at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 10 21:48:56 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:55:03 -0500, Daniel Ehrenberg
<name12323 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> please describe in your own words how you think the current process of
>> page deletion, page protection and IP banning works. If you name the
>> right
>> pages and describe the process correctly, I have no objections to making
>> you a sysop.
>
> Y'know, this isn't that good a test because I could have just looked it
> up.  Anyway, IP banning keeps vandals out of wikipedia.  When one person
> from a consistant IP address keeps vandalizing pages, his IP address is
> banned by a sysop.
Daniel, I  have posted this a couple of times previously, and not yet  been
challenged on it:   I.P.  blocking is  ineffective against dial up users
and, to a lesser extent, broadband users. Dial up users are assigned a new
IP No. from their I SP's  pool each time they reconnect, and seldom receive
the same number twice. As a broadband user, I can change my IP number
simply by cycling up the power on my router.

 An IP block should only be used if there is a pattern of abuse from the
same IP No. over a couple of days or longer. Otherwise there is the risk of
blocking innocent users dialing up from the same Internet provider.

Of course, it is possible that Wikipedia has a higher than usual proportion
of users who have a fixed IP numbers because they are connecting from
universities or similar institutions.
--
Richard Grevers