[WikiEN-l] automatic sysopping

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Mar 10 11:15:26 UTC 2003

Stevertigo wrote:
> Its not a lack confidence...  Its the expectation of responsibility
> balanced with other things...

When I say that I want to de-mystify the sysop position, this is
exactly the sort of idea that I want to counter.  Basically, there is
an expectation of responsibility, professionalism, good will, for
_everyone_, not just sysops.

> I ''totally'' agree with the demystification, and
> politicization... but I dont think that Joe Anon should just show
> up, do some stuff for a couple of weeks...

Traditionally, the only reason to even have sysops is not as a title
of nobility, but because there are/were certain irreversible or
hard-to-reverse commands that are very useful.  We just want to make
reasonably sure someone isn't going to start trashing the database.

> I guess Im also curious about SSL and sysopdom, and the such... If
> someone really wanted to 'fork' the wikipedia they could get access
> pretty easily couldnt they? -Stevertigo.

SSL access is a different thing from sysop status.  SSH access has a
much higher standard, and is *really* just a technical thing.  I have
to know someone pretty well, or have someone vouch for them that I
know pretty well, they have to have a reasonably good cause, some
computer skills, etc.

Someone wishing to fork would not need SSH access, but if I knew them,
and if they had a reason why it would be helpful, a desire to fork
would not preclude them.  (Although, I don't want people to *fork*,
really.)

--Jimbo