[WikiEN-l] Problems with Susan Mason

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Mon Mar 10 09:30:25 UTC 2003

> Oliver reported: The offending quote was, "What? Chinese people aren't
> allowed to
> contribute to the english wiki?" It was RK who characterised this as
> racism, saying, "Susan Mason effectively called me a racist".
>
> Susan's statement was of course badly worded, but I don't see it as an
> accusation of racism, myself: it's about what writing systems one uses,
> not about what race one belongs to. And please let's not argue about
> whether or not one *could* interpret as racist. My point is that Susan
> didn't use the word "racist"...

Fine work, Oliver. As if there was any doubt. I think the unsubstantiated
accusation of racism merits banning. At least temporarily.
Robert is one of those... and we know what I mean by that.  Its really not
my idea of a good time to get into twenty little edit wars about this or
that. And  RK's reactionist tendencies are more than annoying, disruptive
and non-cooperative.. they are insulting, and violating, and if a version of
him from any other cultural persuasion, came along, and he ran into himself,
their personalities would clash in an instant, and the basis of it would be
perspective and nothing more. Its the spirit of NPOV, in a nutshell that
Robert has yet to take to heart... and I hate to single anyone out like
this, because stubborness in people - an unwillingness to concede even a
point, is hard to communicate with.

Susan may be a bit loopy, but she's starting to mellow out, it seems. Shes
talking things over more. Making alliances and giving greater
consideration... but its RK who's still an ominous presence, though he has
shelter of others... who have deemed his contributions valuable. I dont
dispute the man's contributions as 'valuable,'  I dispute them as being
'contributions' - in the spirit of contributing.  It's amazing to me that
the community has allowed  his standardized, accusatory rampages (not worth
repeating) to persist, whilst he can voice complaints of Susan's, mine and
others, "accusations." If the accusation alone is the offense... let us not
be inconsistent with regards to whom we speak of.  Give me Wikilove or give
me death... -Esteban