[WikiEN-l] Re: Sysop Requests

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Mar 9 03:11:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Poor, Edmund W wrote:

> I am seriously considering unilaterally giving sysop rights to everyone on
> this mailing list:
>
> * whose name and username I recognize
> * who seems to know what they're doing
> * who doesn't seem radically opposed to NPOV
>
> This would be about a dozen or more people, and I'll decide on Monday, so
> be forewarned: unless you STRENUOUSLY object to yourself or someone else
> being a sysop, it's gonna happen!

Well, to make your choices easier, Ed, I'm going to decline this responsibility
for the time being. (Assuming that I fit one of the catagories you set out.;)
Right now I don't have enough time to contribute the content I'd like to
provide to Wikipedia, let alone discharge sysop duties for enough time during
the day to make any sort of difference.

Not that I wouldn't eventually like them. (I've wanted to put links to one or
two articles on the front page over the last couple of months.) But unlike
many people here -- & perhaps uniquely -- I see sysop rights as a responsibility,
& not as a ``right." I may have acquired this opinion because I have root
``rights" on a few computers over the years, which have sometimes resulted
with a lack of sleep & angry cow-orkers.

Geoff (aka llywrch)