[WikiEN-l] enough with the chinese character names!

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Fri Mar 7 23:51:18 UTC 2003

> Tarquin typed:Now BOTH Stevertigo AND Goatasaur seem to have these.
> Of course, I can't tell -- they just show as "??" on my screen.
>
> Please go back to usual signatures, guys. And go clean up the existing
> ones. It was amusing while it lasted, but joke over

Well, Ill admit to having started the 'mess' and respect your opinion Tarquin. But the idea of Kanji is to be understood.... i had long thought that Kanji was too complicated to be useful, and that [[igo]] would be the only thing of Asian culture that could be used... I was wrong, and now Im telling people they should raise their kids to learn Kanji at an early age.... the phonetics are irrelevant... its the ideas that they convey which is useful. A soft introduction is forthcoming on the WP.

Now, these are the benefits of Kanji in general... Im just using mine for a sig... Object to it if you will, but I dont see any basis for it other than "its too inconvenient to move the mouse over to show me the name the Kanji links to..." RK and your argument, that using Kanji as an embellishment, violates 'the policy of segregation of languages' doesnt hold water.  Does this mean that you guys will police the Zhongwen Wiki to remove any Engrish or Romanji? Tranculturation is a fact of life, and the web is speeding this up evidence of this... p.s try setting the browser to use the unicode it probably already has installed instead of western ISO.... -豎眩