[WikiEN-l] FDL question

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Fri Mar 7 23:19:06 UTC 2003

I'm sure many of you noticed the mention of the Internet Book List on
slashdot (at http://www.iblist.com/ , a new database intended to be
for books was imdb.com is for movies).  I'm excited about the project
and sent an email with many questions to Patrick Roos.  In that email,
I asked what the copyright terms were of the site and if Roose knew
about the FDL.  He did not.  I referred him to the official GNU FDL page.

I'm not very familiar with the FDL, though I recognize it as a Good
Thing (tm).  I have several questions:

1) if the IBL is put under the FDL, what would be required if they
wanted to use e.g. a wikipedia biography of [[Stephen King]]--a
article is under the FDL (else Encarta could rip them off), but I hope
that each article is not considered a separate "Document" under the
FDL terms.  (if they were, they would all need a new title--"let's
file Stephen King under [[Barnaby Jones]]") ;-)  The "Document" is the
entire 'pedia, right?

2) would it be better for the project, if they consider adopting the
FDL, to link to the wikipedia articles rather than forking them?
(mostly a rhetorical question, though I'm aware I don't usually think
of *all* possibilities).

3) what considerations would you encourage Roos et al. to make before
committing (or not committing) to the FDL?

4) anything else you'd say?

best wishes,

kq