[WikiEN-l] Please sign this anti-war petition

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 7 01:05:46 UTC 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:

>> Dear MoveOn member,
>>
>> The response to our emergency petition to the U.N. Security
>> Council has been nothing short of extraordinary.  Less than
>> two days after the petition was launched, over 550,000 people
>> have signed, from over 200 countries.  It's a strong message
>> from the peoples of the world that the Security Council
>> should support tough inspections in Iraq, not war.  It's also
>> the fastest-growing online petition we've ever seen -- and
>> already one of the largest in history
>
>> etc. etc...

A word of caution here.  Amazingly, this kind of thing is controversial
here, and some people may consider it as spam.  Not everybody here
supports the war crimes against Iraq that have been proposed by Bush's
Axis with Benito Blair.  Some even think that it is a healthy democratic
proposal.  At the same time we find that there are other areas where we
can work together constructively with ease.  An atmosphere where people
are continually promoting or defending their views about the Iraq crisis
could make life in the Wikipedia community intolerable, and we would
accomplish very little. Engaging in this kind of debate can sometimes
jeopardize one's credibility.

Better that this note of caution come from an avowed leftist that mostly
supports your position than from an incensed opponent.  I'm confident
that you can proceed on this issue with a maturity and wisdom that is
sometimes lacking on the perches of power.

Eclecticology