[WikiEN-l] Lists which are sheer nonsense

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Mar 6 11:03:04 UTC 2003

Zoe wrote:
> Is there something FORCING you to read these lists you dislike so
>much?  Don't you have the option of ignoring them?

Although I've taken a different view on the value of the list in
question (I think it's harmless), I will stick up for Saurabh here and
say that I don't think Zoe's argument here is completely persuasive.

It could be used, after all, as an excuse to put all sorts of
non-encyclopedic things into wikipedia.  "If you don't like my article
entries consisting of haiku about my cat, just ignore them."
:-)

It's perfectly valid for people to question whether or not a
particular entry or type of entry is good for wikipedia.  Like I
say, I didn't agree with Saurabh in this instance, but I thought
the question was perfectly valid.

--Jimbo