[WikiEN-l] Lists which are sheer nonsense

Zoe zoecomnena at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 01:53:16 UTC 2003

Is there something FORCING you to read these lists you dislike so much?  Don't you have the option of ignoring them?
Zoe
 rednblack at alum.mit.edu wrote:
Okay. People are actively editing [[List of songs whose title does not appear
in their lyrics]]. Four or five people have assured me I am a rotten git for
daring to question the necessity of this article, but I can't help it. I think
the fact that people created, discussed, and edited this article is just wrong.
Even worse, people I respect (e.g. Tannin and Tarquin) are working on this
article. I'm willing to tolerate most lists, even [[Lists of Americans]], or
whatever it's called now. But this just caps it for me.

I'd like to point out "What Wikipedia is not" #11:

# List repository of loosely associated topics such as; quotations, aphorisms
# or persons (But of course, there is nothing wrong with having lists if their
# entries are famous because they are associated with or significantly
# contributed to the list topic).

This may not be definitive, but it at least suggests that we have some
guidelines for what sort of lists should be considered appropriate, and what
are total trash. I feel this particular list tips over into total trash. I have
been assured that this list is valuable as an article, because people might be
interested in it for its own sake (i.e. someone might want to know what songs
have titles that don't appear in their lyrics), but I have a hard time taking
this seriously. Are we going to insert every absurd contortion that the human
mind can come up with into Wikipedia in the form of a list? E.g. [[List of
left-handed Presidents]], [[List of towns with forty-story buildings]], [[List
of drinks that contain banana]], etc., etc., etc.

At some point this has got to stop. Can we draw a line in the sand, here? The
trash lists have got to go. If there's not a clear organizing reason for it,
then it shouldn't exist.

Saurabh

------
"Slugs! He created slugs! They can't hear, they can't speak, they can't operate
machinery... I mean, are we not in the hands of a lunatic?"
-- The Evil One describes the Supreme Being, "Time Bandits"