[WikiEN-l] Re: Lists which are sheer nonsense

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Tue Mar 4 16:08:59 UTC 2003

I wrote:

>>The term "American" has multiple meanings, including the following:
[SNIP]
>>(3) supportive of the U.S. government, politically conservative,
>>pro-war (For example, the House Un-American Activities Committee
>>declared U.S. citizens "un-American" for various alleged political
>>sins. and more recently you can find examples of newspaper columnists
>>declaring U.S. peace protesters "anti-American.")

Zoe replied:

>I find (3) highly offensive.  That is NOT a definition of "American"
>and to claim it is is to create a straw man to shoot down legitimate
>use of the term, which is to definie people who live in the United
>States.

It doesn't matter how offensive you find this usage, the fact is that
it exists. Here are a few examples that I plucked off the Internet:

http://www.chronwatch.com/featured/contentDisplay.asp?aid=1778

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Feb/02262003/public_f/32922.asp

http://www.pal-item.com/news/stories/20030228/localnews/1081575.html

http://frontpagemag.com/articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=6007

>Will handwringing Democrat ex-presidents and the anti-American
>protesters they encourage admit they were wrong when the first
>McDonald's opens up in Saddam Hussein's gulag on the Tigris?
http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/3/1/114743

I've selected these examples because they each refer specifically to
anti-war *citizens of the United States* (including former U.S.
presidents) as "anti-American." Clearly, the authors of these
passages believe that it is possible to be both a "U.S. citizen" and
still "anti-American."

Like Zoe, I find this usage of "American" offensive. It attempts to
wrap conservative politics and pro-war sentiments in the flag of
patriotism. I hope Zoe will join me in objecting to this usage
wherever it occurs. Nevertheless, we have to take language as we find
it and recognize that words have multiple meanings and connotations
that are created, not by dictionaries or committees, but by their
actual usage in the real world.
--