[WikiEN-l] What W is not

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Mar 3 14:33:53 UTC 2003

Quoting Cunc, I think:
>>   A good measure of achievement is whether their lives (or deaths) were
>> newsworthy, that is, that there exist external sources on the people.

> It seems to me that Cunc has added this so he can better justify the
> keeping of the Sep11 casualties in Wikipedia.

I'm not going to speculate on his motives, really, but it sounds to me
like he's just written what has been the consensus, and it actually
counts _against_ the very Sep11 entries that people have objected to.

Some of the Sep11 casualties made the news _individually_ for various
reasons.  That's a pretty good indication of their being suitable for
an encyclopedia entry.  Others, we don't have any
independently-verifiable information about... which is a pretty good
indication of their not being suitable for an encyclopedia entry.

--Jimbo