[WikiEN-l] re: An observation

martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 20:09:55 UTC 2003

Hi folks.

Firstly, I would like to thank Danny. Despite your annoyance at my actions, and your
concern for the wellbeing of Wikipedia, you were polite and calm in your criticism.
Criticism is often a bitter pill to swallow, but you were a perfect gentleman, and I
genuinely appreciate that.

Secondly, I have been informed that some may feel that I am accusing Jimbo
Wales, or Wikipedians generally, of hypocricy, regarding my comments on whether
these lists are "unmoderated". I did not mean to imply any such thing, and, for the
record I do not think that any of you are hypocritical. I *did* have a point behind my
post, but it is not important, so I am happy to completely retract it. I apologise for the
offence my careless choice of words has caused.

Thirdly, I should note that my sysop powers were the result of a fairly informal
decision by Ed Poor, rather than the general acclamation that has greeted recent
sysops. As such I feel somewhat lacking in democratic accountability! :) While I wish
to retain my deletion and undeletion powers solely for the purpose of merging page
histories or moving page titles, I would like to announce here that I will no longer
take any other sysop-restricted actions, until further notice. I hope you can all trust
me to keep my word on this matter.

Finally, I'm currently discussing this matter privately with Danny and other interested
parties. If you have any feedback, positive or negative (especially negative feedback
that is as polite and well-reasoned as Danny's), then I would be deleted to hear from
any of you. In particular, I would like to hear from Jtdirl, who I have much respect
for, despite our diametrically opposed views. My email adress is
wikipedia at myreddice.co.uk.

-Martin "MyRedDice" Harper