[WikiEN-l] Pronunciation guides

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sun Jun 29 22:54:42 UTC 2003

Stevertigo wrote:

>This is where English, I think is in the minority, and will typically tend
>to reject like the metric system any attempt at mundification.

I'm fairly confident that the majority of the world's English speakers
use the SI system: UK, Australia, India, etc.

SAMPA isn't ideal.
But it's a one-to-one correspondence with IPA, so at some future date
when IPA can easily be used in Wikipedia, we could have some sort of
script switch everything over.

I've explained elsewhere why DIY pronunciation guides are a bad idea.