[WikiEN-l] Re: Getting back on topic (Was: English phonology)

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Jun 28 07:22:38 UTC 2003

Anthere wrote in part:

>We should have sounds in wiktionary...
>to be NPOV, each word would have to respect each pronunciation :-)

I'd suggest developing a morphophonic system for each language.
Then the transcription can link to a page that explains
how the morphophones correspond to phonemes (even phones)
in some major dialects.  But the morphophones don't play favourites
(and you can always keep adding to the list of "major" dialects).

I explained briefly what morphophones are in a previous post.
The classic reference seems to be: Smith, Henry Lee, Jr.;
1967; The Concept of the Morphophone; Language 43:3:306-341.
I should look that up if I'm going to talk much more. ^_^

>And...I pronounce nuclear, newclear :-(((

What you don't realise is that /everybody/ pronounces "nuclear" as "newclear".
It is "new" itself that's pronounced "nyoo" /nju:/ in some dialects
and "noo" /nu:/ in others.  This is the English morphphone .long-u..

-- Toby