[WikiEN-l] An open letter

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Jun 27 11:05:05 UTC 2003

While I understand and sympathize to a degree with what you're saying,
but I must point out that we are under an obligation -- strategically,
if for no other reason -- to extend every courtesy to the bitter end.

One of the things that's really helpful to me in making and defending
these banning decisions is a _clean paper trail_.  When a good person
has an outburst like yours -- no matter how warranted by the
circumstance -- I can rest assured that it will be quoted back to me
as evidence of my inconsistency because I didn't ban or reprimand
you, when I did ban or reprimand someone else.

Sure, cause and effect and "who started it" matters.  But those things
also get lost to history, to a maze of counter-allegations.

It's better when we are all courteous and kind, even in the face of
extreme provocation.

Everyone who was named as an "example" of rude behavior by "Joe
Canuck" should examine their own actions.  Are we consistent, if we
insist on good behavior from others, but don't insist upon it for
ourselves?  We almost all fail in this regard from time to time --
such is the human condition, I guess -- but we should strive for the
best within us.

--Jimbo