[WikiEN-l] wikipedia homepage

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Jun 26 05:00:00 UTC 2003

Daniel-
> May I change the layout of the homepage of the English
> Wikipedia to that of the Esperanto Wikipedia? I think
> that layout looks much better. I would ask this on
> [[Talk:Main Page]], but not many people look there
> that often, and this would be a huge change.

The current layout on en: is the result of long, long discussions and
many, many compromises. It's not made for eternity, of course, but I'd
prefer gradual changes to massive ones. While I like the Esperanto main
page from a purely aesthetic point of view (because it's more colorful,
and uses the aesthetically more pleasing Cologne Blue skin by default), I
prefer the English Main Page layout from a logical point of view, because
it manages to present a very nice mix of information on little space. The
"Selected articles" box on en: is IMHO unmatched by all other Wikipedias.

In any case, please use [[Main Page/Temp]] for working on this, and not
the live Main Page. Otherwise you might provoke a few edit wars.

Regards,

Erik