[WikiEN-l] too many edits???

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Jun 25 11:03:57 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:
> I proposed to *enforce the existing ban* on
> Lir. For this, the threshold of annoyance should arguably be much lower.
> Furthermore, Lir's number of edits is excessive by any standard. At which
> point does it get too much? 100 edits per page? 1000?

I agree with everyone on this.  :-)

What I mean is, yes, of course, merely editing an article "too many"
times is not a bannable offense.  It's discourteous, but probably
happens because people don't really realize that it's discourteous.

And I also agree -- for people already banned, all the thresholds of
annoyance are set a lot lower.  Like, to zero.

Here's the thing -- let's say someone gets banned for ongoing annoying
behavior.  And then, upon being banned, they feel stupid and embarassed.
(Well, work with me here, it _could_ happen.)  But they want to work on
wikipedia.  So they come back under a new username and actually behave
completely.  There's nothing we can do about that, and it isn't a problem
anyway.

But, what we don't want to encourage is multiple attempts by banned
persons to come back again and again under different usernames.

--Jimbo