[WikiEN-l] Proper Foreign Names

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Wed Jun 25 06:53:28 UTC 2003

Sean Barrett wrote:

>Stevertigo wrote:

>>This may sound offlandish - but I want to throw support behind the idea of
>>spelling proper names in close accord to their actual names' pronunciation.
>>The English spelling/pronunciation "Prague" would redirect to "Praha" - - the
>>actual name of the place. This is not something that should simply be left
>>to stand along English lines.

>Hear him, hear him!  I have long lobbied for my city to re-adopt its
>true name of Yang-na, given to it by its original inhabitants.  The
>religious-fundamentalist colonialist oppressors have successfully
>insisted on their own foreign name of "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora, la
>Reina de Los Angeles de la Porciuncula" for far too long now -- and even
>that abomination of a name is often abbreviated even further, implying
>that the Christian concept of angels defines our city in its entirety!

O good Lord!

It's bad enough that we're repeating arguments in the wrong space
(naming convention discussions belong on naming convention talk pages,
in this case [[Wikipedia talk:Naming conventions (use English)]]),
and without saying anything that hasn't been said before
(Steve doesn't seem to have read any of the old discussion,
and mav seems to have no interest in pointing him to it),
but now even the inane strawmen are being repeated almost verbatim.

Stop wasting my time!

-- Toby