[WikiEN-l] Re: Announcing Wikimedia Foundation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 25 01:13:30 UTC 2003

Sheldon Rampton wrote:

> Seriously, folks...has anyone considered approaching some of the big
> computer companies like Microsoft or Apple, or for that matter the
> Free Software Foundation? I'd think that some of them might have an
> interest in coming up with some funding. For example, Apple is
> primarily in the hardware business and might have an interest in
> encouraging the development of an open source internet platform for
> multimedia that motivates people to go out and buy more iBooks and
> iPods so they can use iMovie and iTunes.

Those strike me as tainted sources for revenue.  I would be suspicious
of anything from them, and any potential strings attached.  Sometimes
sudden riches can be a more serious problem than being poor.

A provision that limits the amount that a person can contribute could
protect the foundation from anyone who might come along and use his
money to influence the direction of the foundation.  We already know
Jimbo's approach to many issues, and we've mostly all accepted his Wiki
philosophy.  That does not guarantee that some new person won't come
along and use money to convince us to take some direction.

I've raised budgetting before, because I see that as an issue that needs
serious consideration.  Once we know how much we need, we'll know how
much to get from Wikipedians.  Some potential expenses can be dangerous.
 Paid staff can be a problem  because they can have a conflict of
interest between their personal well-being and the well-being of the
foundation.

Eclecticology