[WikiEN-l] Intention to (re-)ban: Pizza Puzzle (Lir)

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 02:56:33 UTC 2003

> > There has to be a way for people to redeem themselves.  For Lir, leaving
> > aside the multiple incarnation issue, the multiple small edit issue, may
> > be an editing style that annoys some people, but looked at alone I would
> > not consider it a banning offence.  What are his other '''recent'''
> > offences?
> >
> > Ec
>
>He knows he is banned yet is trying to be here with another phony user
>name.
>He was not patient enough to wait til ban was legitimately lifted.
>(Assuming
>it is Lir).
>
>Fred

Fred is quite correct. Remember this is a user who has been hard banned
numerous times. They approached Jimbo and PROMISED that they would not come
on under an assumed identity again. They gave their word. In the
circumstances, they could have got Jimbo's agreement to come on again as
themselves. They could have waited for the specified period then come back.
But they instead went back on their word (yet again) and came on as an
assumed identity, in the process giving the two fingers to Jimbo and the
wiki rules on banning. As to Adam not committing offences - it isn't for the
want of trying. One of Adam/Lir/Vera Cruz/Susan Mason/Dietary Fiber/Shino
Baku etc's standard 'games' has been to provoke rows. One particular stunt
they used to pull was to enter a page where an edit war had been taking
place and just as peace was breaking out say or do something that would
re-ignite it. I have seen 'Pizza Puzzle' try that once so far. (Luckily the
people in question from past experience knew the 'game' and wouldn't play!)

PP placed bizarre messages on talk pages (I got one that said ''Adam
[name omitted for privacy reasons] is a troll'), in a attempt to provoke a reaction. Knowing Adam's
'game' I ignored it.) When that failed a provocative message was left on
PP's user page by PP, proclaiming how they were a troll, again to see could
they start a row. By then people had pretty much worked out PP's identity
and after some emails and AIM messages (used so that Adam could not read
them, which he would do if they were on talk pages) decided to ignore his
latest bit of 'look at me. I'm a troll. Wanna fight?' antics.

So he tried another tried and trusted method. He voted then 'unvoted' on the
dates vote page, in the hope that (as happened when he was 'Susan Mason')
someone would react with a 'what the fuck do you think you are doing'
response; he could then assume victim mode and get a few newbies to rush to
his defence and turn the page into a nasty fight. But only one person
challenged him on that, so that fizzled out.

Next try - remove someone's vote. So far that hasn't resulted in a major row
of the sort that Adam as Lir, Vera and Susan seemed to love starting.

All of which poses the question: so what is next? What stunt with Adam try
next to stir up a row? Going by past experience he will keep trying. Rows
are the one thing Adam in all his identities has  contributed to wiki. He
seems to get a kick out of starting them off.

If wiki is to thrive as an encyclopædia, it needs to be able to deal with
the likes of Adam (now back on when he shouldn't be), Michael (though banned
numerous times still coming on daily to vandalise pages) and Ron (aka DW,
Black Widow, Elliot, Jacques Delson, 64.228.30.125, Joe Canuck and now
ChuckM). Ron has been on almost continually, not withstanding constant
hardbans since August 2002. Indeed Ron's contempt for wiki can be seen in
the fact that he often has two 'identities' in use at once, an IP for
editing and a named page for insulting. The fact that ChuckM, which he
created on the 10th of June could suddenly be brought back on the 22nd,
after his previous identity Joe Canuck was banned on the 20th shows his
contempt for wiki - one of his first acts was to remove the ban notice from
Canuck's page, then insult MyRedDice and accuse Wapcaplet, then remove a
note from me on the VfD page urging a quick deletion of Canuck's dodgy
images.

Our 'softly softly . . . maybe they might change' nonsense is not working.
Michael still defaces articles. Ron still downloads dodgy images and Adam
swans back giving Jimbo two fingers again and again and again. As a
hardbanned user, there should be no need for a debate. The rules said
explicitly that Adam should be banned immediately. Whether he writes good
articles is irrelevant. He has no right to be here and as someone who can't
even be bothered to keep his promises to Jimbo, we owe it to ourselves,
Jimbo and Wiki to ban him as soon as possible, as often as needs be. So that
Adam, Ron, Michael and everyone else gets the clear unambiguous message
'wiki is a troll-free zone. All trolls will be barred on sight.', rather
than our current message ' em . . . we'll talk about it and talk about it,
and then talk about it a bit more. And when you are finally banned and come
back, we'll do a lot more talking, not acting. So you have nothing to worry
about.'

JT