[WikiEN-l] Announcing Wikimedia Foundation

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Sat Jun 21 20:18:29 UTC 2003

> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>>I'm pleased to announce the existence of the
>>Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a nonprofit corporation
>>organized under the laws of Florida, United States.

Great! Well, good things take their time... :-)

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> I also noticed the Nupedia stuff. Does that mean that Nupedia is also now part
> of the Wikimedia family? I'm not certain if the Nupedians (if there are any
> left or who care) would be too happy about that.... Oh well, maybe we can
> bring some life to that project. I still think Nupedia (perhaps under the
> name GNUpedia) should be refactored to be a repository of expert-approved
> Wikipedia articles (along the lines of Larry's Sifter project). Thus that
> project would be a stable distribution of Wikipedia content but all editing
> would still take place at Wikipedia.

I'd like "gnupedia" for that as well. "Sifter" doesn't really sound too
interesting somehow. (And, as one of the more active former Nupedia
authors, I don't object including Nupedia in the wikimedia family:-)

Oh, if someone creates "textbook.wikipedia.org", could we also have a
test wiki for the gunpedia project set up? It might be confusing to
implement the rather restrictive sifter setup on test.wikipedia.org.

Magnus