[WikiEN-l] Re: Bad word article

Dante Alighieri dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com
Sat Jun 21 19:05:25 UTC 2003

At 08:02 AM 6/21/2003, you wrote:
>Toby Bartels wrote:
>>Ilya N. wrote:
>>
>>>The article [[Fucking Amal]] should be changed...I know many kids who go
>>>to this site.
>>
>>>I would like to also propose a boilerplate text that says something like
>>>this:
>>
>>>"WARNING: This article may countain offensive, or adult articles and links"
>>
>>>but really the article mentioned above should be renamed to something
>>>like [[F... Amal]] or something
>>
>>This post demonstrates one reason why
>>?You simply haven't been here long enough.?
>>is a legitimate reason to hesitate in making somebody an admin.
>>Despite having been here a month, Ilya is unfamiliar with
>>things that have been discussed a great deal recently.
>>He might have applied sysop powers in such a situation;
>>limiting admin privileges is in most cases a matter of
>>limiting them to people that are well familiar with Wikipedia;
>>limiting the damage by problematic users is a rarer benefit.
>>Let me note that while I'm picking on a post by Ilya,
>>the only conclusion that I want to draw is a general one.
>>Ilya did /not/ use his admin powers, or even ordinary powers,
>>to change this -- instead he brought it up on the list.
>>So I'm not questioning the fitness of Ilya in particular to be an admin!
>>Anyway Ilya, you'll want to discuss this
>>at [[Wikipedia talk:Content disclaimer]].
>>
>>-- Toby
>
>well, I /could have/ used whatever powers I was granted as an admin,
>however I didn't, how  is this bad. With simple correction I can learn,
>not from such a tone in messages as if you're attacking me. I'm not as
>stupid as many people in the word nowadays
>
>--Ilya

Ilya, Toby was very careful NOT to attack you, he was simply making a point
about people in /general/ not being aware of existing convention after only
a month. Reread his post and I think you'll agree. Toby actually commended
you for doing what you did, bringing it to the list. :)

-----
Dante Alighieri
dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their
neutrality in times of great moral crisis."
    -Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321