[WikiEN-l] Re: Bad word article

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Sat Jun 21 13:19:21 UTC 2003

At 04:19 PM 6/20/03 -0500, Ilya wrote:
>Jens Frank wrote:
>>On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:45:08PM -0500, Ilya N. wrote:
>>
>>>The article [[Fucking Amal]] should be changed...I know many kids who go
>>>to this site.
>>>
>>>I would like to also propose a boilerplate text that says something like
>>>this:
>>>
>>>"WARNING: This article may countain offensive, or adult articles and links"
>>>
>>>but really the article mentioned above should be renamed to something
>>>like [[F... Amal]] or something
>>
>>The film is not named F... Amal. The title should match the film's name.
>>And despite the f-word that *every* kid already knows about before reading
>>wikipedia, I can't find anything offensive.
>>         JeLuF
>
>well then, why don't we just start saying the word every single sentence
>
>hello, ****, mister

Because what is offensive depends on context. A detailed description of
many bodily functions is inappropriate at the dinner table, but may be
necessary at the doctor's office.

Yes, children may well be looking at Wikipedia. They're unlikely to
find the "Fucking Amal" article unless they're looking for it--and if
they're looking for it they already know the title of the movie--or
looking for "fuck", in which case they may be annoyed to find an
article about a movie instead of about sex, but not offended in the
sense you probably mean.
--
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr at redbird.org