[WikiEN-l] Bad word article

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Jun 21 12:46:16 UTC 2003

Ilya N. wrote:

>The article [[Fucking Amal]] should be changed...I know many kids who go
>to this site.

>I would like to also propose a boilerplate text that says something like
>this:

>"WARNING: This article may countain offensive, or adult articles and links"

>but really the article mentioned above should be renamed to something
>like [[F... Amal]] or something

This post demonstrates one reason why
«You simply haven't been here long enough.»
is a legitimate reason to hesitate in making somebody an admin.
Despite having been here a month, Ilya is unfamiliar with
things that have been discussed a great deal recently.
He might have applied sysop powers in such a situation;
limiting admin privileges is in most cases a matter of
limiting them to people that are well familiar with Wikipedia;
limiting the damage by problematic users is a rarer benefit.

Let me note that while I'm picking on a post by Ilya,
the only conclusion that I want to draw is a general one.
Ilya did /not/ use his admin powers, or even ordinary powers,
to change this -- instead he brought it up on the list.
So I'm not questioning the fitness of Ilya in particular to be an admin!

Anyway Ilya, you'll want to discuss this
at [[Wikipedia talk:Content disclaimer]].

-- Toby