[WikiEN-l] Announcing Wikimedia Foundation

Alex T. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jun 20 23:04:07 UTC 2003

I had previously suggested that legal advice (or at least
a not-for-profit accountant) should be obtained for
filing the 1023 for 501(c)(3) status. I would also like
to point out (as I have before on Meta Wikipedia)
that it is not necessary to file if the organization's donations
are under $5,000.  Thus if you wish to announce donations
you can accept them if they are under a certain amount.
I would also urge you to look into filing with the necessary
state authorities regarding charitable contributions some states
have made these rules rather tough.

There is also a grace period for filing the 1023
that can be extended for a variety of reasons. I cannot
stress to much that seeking legal advice (even pro bono which is what
I offered and no one has taken me up on) is a good thing
as MANY groups are refused tax exempt status due to the
fact that they have not checked the various IRS rulings and
have drafted a corporate charter/certificates without the proper
exempt purposes or correct recitials regarding termination
transfers, etc..  I am working on a church case right now where
a church was denied 501(c)(3) status.
(No, the US Consitution does not  protect religions from everything).
This is a complex and complicated area of tax law.

Sincerely,
Alex T. Roshuk
Attorney at law
325 8th St