[WikiEN-l] Announcing Wikimedia Foundation

Geoffrey Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Jun 20 16:45:50 UTC 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> [Could people please make unofficial translations of this for posting
> on *.wikipedia.org wikipedias?]
>
> I'm pleased to announce the existence of the Wikimedia Foundation,
> Inc., a nonprofit corporation organized under the laws of Florida,
> United States.  I am transferring to this new corporation the assets
> that follow:

Great news! Thanks, Jimbo.

Two thoughts you may want to add to your TODO list:

1. Once the merchant bank account is set up for the corporation, you
may want to set up a PayPal account for donations over the Internet.
(I'm not pushing PayPal per se -- I believe there are other companies
that do the same thing, & may waive the handling fees for the tax
deduction.)

2. If you continue to subsidize Wikipedia by paying for bandwidth &
co-lo fees (I don't know where the servers are located), you may be
able to deduct these costs too.

Just offering my input,
Geoff