[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 17 06:39:22 UTC 2003

Dante Alighieri wrote:

> Jimbo, I'm puzzled. Where is it written that Wikipedia contains
> content that needs filtering? What are these mysterious standards that
> we refuse to implement? Who, exactly, is it that should be choosing
> which content on our site is "objectionable"... and objectionable to
> whom? How are we irresponsible?
>
> I am of the opinion that Wikipedia does NOT contain content that needs
> filtering. Ideas are both MORE dangerous and LESS dangerous than most
> people realize. Of course, the proponents of filtering universally
> want to filter the less dangerous stuff and let the more dangerous
> stuff through. (i.e., sexuality is not dangerous, but ideas like
> freedom/rationality/logic ARE dangerous... at least to people who
> think sexuality IS dangerous....) I am also of the opinion that we DO
> have standards, and that those standards are good ones for an
> encyclopedia.... we try to ensure that our articles are truthful,
> non-biased, and accurate. I am also of the opinion that those people
> who don't like the site should not use it. I also think that those
> people who are unwillingly blocked from using the site need to step up
> and let their voices be heard; should peak to their parents, teachers,
> government officials, clergymen.; tell them why Wikipedia is important
> and how it shouldn't be blocked. Lastly, I find the assertion that
> we're being somehow irresponsible, or refusing to handle the issue
> responsibly insulting. Holding the view that censorship is unnecessary
> or undesirable is not irresponsible.

I don't even see the issue as being about whether Wikipedia contains
objectionable material of any kind, sexual or otherwise.  Being
irresponsible is about ignoring the whole problem and just praying that
it will go away.  It's important to be aware of what we have, and what
its possible effects might be.  We need to be prepared to make changes
where appropriate, but we also need to defend other content when we feel
it's justified.

Ec