[WikiEN-l] close, but no cigar

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 00:55:46 UTC 2003

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
> > Would you really find it tasteful for our main
> page to contain a "here
> > there be dragons" notice? Don't you think that
> would blow the perceived
> > problem a little bit out of proportion?
>
> I don't think we should have any form of 'here there
> be dragons'
> notice on the front page.  If anything, such a
> disclaimer should
> appear on a case by case basis before particular
> pages, but even that
> is a lot more problematic in terms of generating
> pointless quarrels
> than what I'm proposing.
>
> --Jimbo

Well, that works, but only to a certain degree. When I
encounter a page on a book or movie that says it has
spoilers in it, it's still hard for me not to read it
because I'm already there. But I guess a notice on the
main page wouldn't really help that either...

I still think there should be a general disclamers
page, saying, in addition to the mature content
warning, that we don't give medical advice, do give
spoilers, etc. There should be a link to this from the
main page.
-LDan