[WikiEN-l] FW: Advisories and saying goodbye -- long

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 00:43:35 UTC 2003

>I'm sure the rest of what you had to say, Julie, was
>relevant and important and interesting and I probably
>agreed with it.  But you really don't know jack about Ayn
>Rand, so best not to say such nonsense about her in
>public.  It's unscholarly at best, to issue snippy
>proclamations on a subject about which you apparently
>know nothing.
>
>--Jimbo

Whoa Jimmy - that wasn't exactly following the principle of WikiLove (or did
you just forget to place in a bunch of smilies? ;). At the very least I don't
think it was too appropriate for a public list. JHK deserves much more
respect than that - even if she was way off base with Ayn Rand.

Again avoiding the "f-word" (filtering) and using the "s-word" (sorting)
should help tone down the rhetoric on both sides since sorting is far more
general and /is/ something we need to do before RC becomes useless.

KQs last post on this got me thinking again that this will be very difficult
since a tag is an on/off thing that /cannot/ be NPOVd like article text
can....

I guess our only recourse is to tag things based on what they are instead of
the type of emotions they may evoke in certain people. So "objectionable,"
"explicit  content," PG-13" would /not/ be a valid categories. But "sexual
practice," or maybe even "obscure sexual practice" (for felching, golden
showers, fisting etc) would.

There still will be a great deal of conflict over this; would oral or anal sex
get the tag of "obscure sexual practice"? Perhaps another tag in between
"sexual practice" and "obscure sexual practice" would be needed to give
parents the ability to sort out oral and anal sex if they so choose (but I
wouldn't tag these as "obscure"). But that is just my POV which is based on
my culture - thus the main problem KQ is talking about.

And there should /not/ be any sorting by default. Let each logged-in user
should set their own preferences.

Sorting IMO is going to be absolutely essential in the future to prevent
information overload for searches and for special pages like RC. But the
devil comes out in the details when we deal with controversial subjects - or
even conflicts between lumpers and dividers.

Peace be with you. :)

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)