[WikiEN-l] DW back as Joe Canuck

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 20:37:54 UTC 2003

>on the isue of Joe Canuck possibly being DW, Daniel Ehrenberg wrote,  I'll
>go talk to him.

To Dan's message, which read
Hi, Joe. I've realised that you seem to be threatening people with lawsuits
at least twice, and I wonder why you're doing it. While I understand you're
a lawyer,  I don't think you'll get very far on Wikipedia threatening
people. Since you're threatening them, some people think you're an other
user who has since been banned from Wikipedia, named DW, but I know that's
not true. But if you lighten up on the threats, I think they will stop with
these false accusations. LittleDan 18:39 16 Jun 2003 (UTC)

Joe Canuck replied
Re your comment: I never have, and never do, under any circumstances, make
threats to anybody. Please retract your false accusation. Nor have I ever
said I am a lawyer, sanitation worker, truck driver, horse manure hauler, or
any other occupation. In fact, I go about my business making worthwhile,
detailed, accurate, valuable and needed contributions to Wikipedia, in my
humble opinion. But, if my work is not EXACTLY what Wikipedia is all about
(and there are those who play without really contributing anything here),
then please advise and I will leave immediately. Note, I never bother
anybody, ever. I only respond when I am targeted for discriminatory action.
Are you suggesting that discrimination is an acceptable policy at Wikipedia
and that anyone being discriminated against should shut up?  Joe Canuck
18:54 16 Jun 2003 (UTC)

DW is on many ways an excellent contributor. It is a pity that his response
to users is bullying threatening language. We all on occasion use strong
language in edit wars, etc (I know I have done so) but DW in the past and
Joe Canuck in the present seems to write nothing but accusations, ''how dare
you?'' comments, and bullying hints at recourse to law, etc. I think Jimbo
should have a word with him. No matter how polite someone is in talking to
him, his response is to verbally abuse them. Such contact should take place
straight away. The more articles he contributes, the more likely people are
to contact him about things and the more likely he is to spew bile back at
them. This needs to be stopped at the very start before it becomes a major
problem and drives away good users. That is particularly so when one
considers that there are users on wiki who are quite young or are retired
people who are doing their best to contribute in a non-aggressive manner and
risk getting verbal bollockings from Canuck and being intimidated by him if
they simply ask him a question.
JT