[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Mon Jun 16 19:13:15 UTC 2003

> What *is* the argument here? That all 130,000 articles of Wikipedia have
> to be blocked because there are a dozen that describe "highly unusual sex
> practices"? Do you really think that is convincing?

> But if we are just complacent, if we just blindly accept the so-called
> power of these pressure groups, then *we* contribute to giving them that
> power. We are among those who shut up and not among those who speak up. If
> you are such a radical, Jimbo, why are you so eager to give them what they
> want?
>
> Have you ever actually shown your mother Wikipedia? I think she would like
> it. Mine certainly did.

As did mine! Erik is completely right on. Furthermore - mechanical
protections we institute now - in the name of fighting .....  will no doubt
( if implemented without a due degree of forethought - hence why were
here ) - will have unforseen consequences - some of them influencing the way
the WP works and maintains its interest to "radical libertarians." Dont fix
it if it aint broke.

P.S. I was thinking of submitting an article to Kuro5hin about this debate -
because its interesting - it raises important questions - and WP is among
the shining stars born of the open techno-ethic. Im about 80 percent done. I
wanted to submit the idea here first. Any objections?

- Steven Vertigo