[WikiEN-l] Foto formatting

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 01:06:43 UTC 2003

>John Knouse wrote:
>I'm often seeing fotos embedded with this kind of tagging:
>style="float:right;margin-left:0.5em;text-align:center">
>Unfortunately, the foto almost invariably then collides with
>the text or ruins the formatting of a table.  This just
>doesn't seem to work.  I've changed a number of these to
>simple html image tagging or table cells to resolve
>collisions.
>
>--

AAAAAGH. That tab command drives my screen nuts, it has frozen the screen
twice when using Explorer. It has made a complete muck of pages on my
netscape. In fact that bloody tab command is one of the reasons I had to
stop using both browsers completely and go to safari. Far from using that
command, we should be binning it.

The div command seems to be the command that if used correctly works best,
or rather screws up least. (I have 5 browsers on my eMac; safari, camino,
opera, explorer and netscape and sometimes I have double, treble or
quadruple-checked images  - usually a page with a number of images - on all
of them to be sure. Netscape and explorer muck up the most in different ways
but whereas a div command can be made to work on them, the alternatives have
regularly created a disaster!)

Tell me, do you have your preferences set to justify? I found that whenever
I set things to justify /every/ command went all over the place. Though I
must prefer seeing text justified, it just will not work at present on wiki.
Whenever I have used the div command with a clear statement of width it
seemed to work OK, though Explorer (suprise surprise!) did sometimes muck
up. In fact it did not /actually/ muck up the page, but made it look on an
/individual/ screen as though it was mucked up whereas in reality it showed
up correctly elsewhere. (Mav and I had a heated disasgreement over one
image, until it turned out that it was /my/ browser (that f@*@+*g explorer)
that was causing the problem. And everytime /I/ fixed it (or thought I had)
all I was actually doing was mucking it up on the page for all other browers
and other versions of explorer - as what to my explorer looked OK was a
complete mess to every other browser. And when he fixed it back, my explorer
went haywire!

So please don't use the tab command until it has been established what the
problem is, is it an isolated browser problem, is it because images are too
big, that the command left out the width specification or because your
preferences are set to justify? In /fixing/ your image (as I did fixing the
image on the Robert Mugabe page) you may actually be producing a solution
that actually doesn't work at all for anyone else and completely muck up the
image for all other browsers.
JT