[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jun 13 17:27:21 UTC 2003

Toby Bartels wrote:

>Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>>Toby Bartels wrote:
>>
>>>If you spell it out in such a way that it includes explicity sexual
>>>content but not explicit religious content, then how is this NPOV,
>>>given an earlier poster (Ec?) that considers the latter harmful to
>>>kids.  (And if Ec is joking, I have a friend that seriously believes
>>>that about Christianity in particular.)
>>>
>>End users can adjust it however they like, so what's the problem?
>>

>If end users have to adjust for themselves
>which articles are labelled "mature content",
>then (depending on what this means), either:
>* We abandon NPOV for the label at any single given moment,
>  and instead the next person to come along adjusts it to their own POV,
>  without any security that this will last more than a minute; or
>* The user can't use the "mature content" label
>  without going through the whole site and labelling everything.
>(The first bullet point assumes a single global labelling,
>while the second assumes individual labelling for each content provider.)

I prefer individual article labelling with the capacity for an article
to have more than one label.  The labels themselves would be just as
editable as the articles, and just as subject to edit wars.  I can live
without the security of hard wired labels.  Once labels were adopted,
there should be no need for a mass movement to label everything
immediately.  The default label "unlabelled" could likely be implemented
by the software, as a searchable label.  Those inclined to do housework
could go ahead and apply labels when they felt so inspired.

Ec