[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jun 13 16:22:02 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:
>
>>If you spell it out in such a way that it includes explicity sexual
>>content but not explicit religious content, then how is this NPOV,
>>given an earlier poster (Ec?) that considers the latter harmful to
>>kids.  (And if Ec is joking, I have a friend that seriously believes
>>that about Christianity in particular.)
>>

>End users can adjust it however they like, so what's the problem?

I think both Erik and I had made suggestions of that sort.  I am not a
rabid advocate of censorship, and I don't believe that he is either.  I
also agree that any such censorship would be applied '''only''' at the
end user level.

The visions which Erik and I were expressing were technically very
different in the way they would function, but probably very similar in
what they would accomplish.  The capacity of these systems for
censorship is secondary and incidental.  They would work just as well if
a person wanted to censor out articles about nuclear physics or ancient
Egyptian history, or some other subject that would leave all the rest of
us scratcuing our heads.  To me the real issue is about scaling up and
indexing in a project that is growing tremendously fast.

In my particular vision of coding the end user would simply have the
opportunity to not download articles coded for sex, religion or knitting..

Ec