[WikiEN-l] Writing to AOL about Michael

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 00:56:16 UTC 2003

camembert wrote:
>If I wanted to write to AOL about Michael (which I
>do - I don't suppose it'll do much good, but it's
>worth a go), what info would they want apart
>from an account of his activities? I'm guessing
>they'd need IP numbers he's used in conjunction with
>edit times, is that right?

Yep. They will know who was assigned which of their
IPs at certain times. That is unless those cheap
bastards at AOL use proxies (in which case many people
would be using the same IP at the same time - IIRC how
proxies work).

>I was half-way through writing a message to them
> before I realised all I had identity-wise was
>"it's some guy who calls himself 'Michael', or
> 'NOFX', or 'Weezer', or...".

That may be a problem if unique IPs are not assigned
to individual users on at least a dial-up session
basis.

>Incidentally, I don't think that my writing to AOL
>(assuming that I do indeed write) should stop other
>people writing to them as well.

Please post your message somewhere and I'll help make
a general boilerplate for use in these types of
situations. Then it will be easy for dozens of us to
complain. That should get some attention.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)