[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 20:34:49 UTC 2003

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
> Toby Bartels wrote:

> > If we have an Edupedia website built on a Sifter model,
> > then schools can block Wikipedia as long as they don't block
> > Edupedia.
>
> And that would be very unfortunate, I think.

There's one question we haven't investigated yet: would our filtering
really lower the likelihood that schools will eventually block us
completely?

I doubt that we could ever create a system that even comes close to
preventing school kids from getting the Wikipedia content they want.
At one point, a school administrator will find objectionable content in
Wikipedia, will investigate the filtering option with the various
categories, and will realize that kids can still get to the
objectionable pages, e.g. by typing in the direct URL. Then our whole
domain will be blocked.

Axel