[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Jun 12 15:39:34 UTC 2003

limholt at excite.com wrote:

>I accept Dan's point. The idea that all types of material MUST be available without filtering (py parents for example) is a POV about how children should be educated. This is a very slippery kind of concept, sort of like the difference between 'freedom OF religion' and 'freedom FROM religion.

Close, but not quite.

The point of view is *not* that children should be educated in
such-and-such a way, but rather that people who want to be restrictive
about the material that people (not necessarily just children!) have
access to should set up those restrictions *themselves*; that it is not
part of Wikipedia's mission to censor material about certain topics, but
that our license allows anyone who wishes to to create a derivitive work
which is more limited in scope and more targeted in audience.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)