[WikiEN-l] capitalisation

JFrost8401 at aol.com JFrost8401 at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 17:19:22 UTC 2003

In a message dated 11/06/03 18:10:17 GMT Daylight Time, jtdirl at hotmail.com
writes:

> I had an interesting conversation today with a publisher and an academic on
> the issue of capitalisation. They made the following observations:
>
> 1. Capitalisation rules seem to differ between American English and British
> English (or rather American English and all forms of english other than AE).
>
> Whereas the former seems nowadays to be following a 'minimal use of caps'
> policy, non-AE english uses caps far more often.
>
> 2. This issue has caused considerable problems with American students who
> come to Europe for summer courses. Europeans see the non-use of caps as
> 'semi-literate' and regularly dock students marks for it. Americans see non
> AE use of caps as 'ludicrous' and over the top. (I know from personal
> experience that the few caps english of AE users has caused bitter anger in
> my university, where lecturers 'hit the roof' at AE users' insistence of
> lower-casing names of organisations, electoral processes, governmental
> offices, etc.)
>
> 3. Within many academic areas, a major battle has been waged on this issue.
> To the resentment of non-AE users, AE capitalisation rules increasingly tend
>
> to be followed. The reason is purely economic. Publishers see the US as
> their biggest market, and so publish books in AE or in non-AE but following
> some of the characteristics of AE in areas like capitalisation. (This has
> infuriated many non AE-using authors. Last week, one British English author
> threatened to sue her publisher for 'rewriting' her textbook in AE when it
> was aimed at a UK market. She accused them of 'dumbing down english to suit
> Americans'. Some authors, according to the publisher I was talking to, have
> insisted in their contracts that their books /not/ be rewritten in AE, even
> when an edition is launched in the US. (American authors may well equally
> have insisted that their books not be turned into non-AE. As the publisher I
>
> was speaking to is British she has no knowledge of such contracts if they
> exist in the US).
>
> If this is the case (and both the publisher and academic said so, while both
>
> expressing their dislike of AE capitalisation trends and what the latter
> called the 'wholescale manging of non-AE to suit publishers' profits by
> trampling over the language use of everyone who isn't American') that does
> explain the rows over capitalisation on wiki, and how it is AE users like
> Ec, Mav and Zoe who are so 'anti' capitalisation while it is users of other
> forms of english other than AE (Tannin, myself, etc) who want it. For if
> Mav, Ec etc were taught one set of rules on capitalisation usage, we were
> taught a different one and are infuriated by what, going by what we were
> taught, seems to be wiki's insistence on wrong use of capitals and non-use
> of capitals where they should be used.
>
> In the circumstances, we should apply to the same policy as we apply in
> general to American english versus British english, ie, respect difference
> [...]

Interesting; although I'd spotted some odd ( to a non-American) "missed"
capitals, in articles, it never occurred to me that there was a genuine cultural
difference.

It also explains why from the Europe/Oz viewpoint this debate looked a bit
like US v the rest, although I must admit that paranoia might also have been a
factor.

I think JT's email helps to explain how this controversy has arisen , and why
it has been so difficult to resolve.

Jim