[WikiEN-l] This is the English Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 9 16:34:24 UTC 2003

Robert wrote:

>Stevertigo writes:
>
>>I think this is nonsense. Proper English is a product of
>>specialization. English is not the property of English
>>speakers, but a lingua franca that everyone owns.
>>

>Pseudo-academic, pseudo-egalitarian nonsense.  That's the
>same kind of talk that has damaged the education of much of
>the inner-city youth in America.
>
>Frankly, it is also racist in effect. This kind of attitude
>has created two generations of poorly educated Hispanic and
>Black youth in American cities. I couldn't think of a
>better plan for the KKK  to promote if they want to keep
>racism alive forever.
>
>>Hence, its destined to become simplified phonetic -
>>scratch that - fonetic speling iz tha furst thing laikli
>>tu hapen tu English - or it should. Someday soon.
>>

>This isn't about ownership, racism or colonialism.  It is
>about writing article in English, for people who speak
>English.
>
>And frankly, many of our articles are being damaged by
>people with good intentions, but who have poor English
>reading or writing skills (or both.)

Even though I may often differ with some other Wikipedians about just
what is correct English (notably lately over over-capitalization), I am
strongly in support of using good English.  If people want to persist in
pseudo-phonetic renderings of the language let them do so on the
yet-to-be-created ebonics Wikipedia.  Language is also about a cultural
continuity that includes Mark Twain just as much as Shakespeare.  A
generation that grows up on these fanciful spellings is well on the way
to breaking its link with a cultural continuity.  That's the cost of
such dumbing down.

Ec