[WikiEN-l] We need a way to deal with AOL vandals THIS year

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri Jun 6 06:32:46 UTC 2003

Tannin wrote in part:

>(i) Establish a time + number of edits before any new user is
>unblockable

>(ii) Figure out a way to make the Rollback feature work on page moves
>as well as ordinary edits

>(iii) Disallow page moves to ordinary users and make that a sysop-only
>task

>(iv) Pick another half-dozen people, trusted and experienced sysops,
>and give them the ability to stand in when Brion and Eloquence are not
>around to block the Michaels of this world. Those guys are great, but
>they can't be here all the time.

This is probably the best *temporary* solution,
since we can do it right away.

But ultimately, the solution that we need is:

(v) Allow sysops to block users by username.

Not that this will solve *everything*,
but at least it gives back a tool for dealing with vandalism
that the savvy vandals know how to get around easily.

>In the meantime, Michael is running rampage through the database.

Is there a page where people are keeping track of Michael's usernames?
I could make it a point to look at that page whenever I go on.
As it is, I don't know how to find him, so I do (almost) nothing.

-- Toby