[WikiEN-l] Re: Umlauts in article titles

Mirko Thiessen mt at mirko-thiessen.de
Thu Jun 5 06:32:37 UTC 2003

Toby Bartels wrote:

> If creating an article myself, I'd place it at a title with the umlaut.
> But I doubt that I'd move an article that was placed somewhere else
> (especially for old place names, which often have English "translations"
> that are more than mere *transliterations* into English orthography).
> The really important thing is what Dan said: Create redirects!
> Unless the naming conventions address a situation explicitly
> (and often even when they do), then one should create redirects
> from any title that might reasonably be linked to.

I agree with Dan and with you, that redirects are important. But some
people have been very busy with moving articles, so one half is now placed
under Ä and the other half under AE, which is rather unsatisfying. I am not
in favour of one option or the other, I just would like to have clarity. In
the present condition one could think, that the correct spelling of one
place is AE and of the other place is Ä.

> (Here I'm assuming that the city's name is really "Saßnitz" in German.
> I'm not sure if it is!  I wasn't able to find a clear example.)

It is.

Mirko

--
Mirko Thiessen