[WikiEN-l] Tannin, it seems, has changed lots of articles

Dante Alighieri dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com
Wed Jun 4 21:11:46 UTC 2003

At 01:34 PM 6/4/2003, you wrote:
>--- Oliver Pereira <omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> > If the majority of experts on fauna call an animal
> > the "Aardvark", and the
> > majority of non-experts call it the "aardvark", then
> > the majority of our
> > potential *readership* call it the "aardvark". So
> > that's what our usual
> > naming convention says that *we* should call it,
> > too. We shouldn't make
> > special cases just for one particular group of
> > people without a better
> > reason than just because that's how they do it
> > themselves.
> > Oliver
>
>If the majority of non-experts call MS-DOS "DOS",
>should we? "DOS" means *any* disc operating system,
>even certain versions of Linux. And same with IM.
>In this case, we're lucky. Capitalisation conveys no
>information whatsoever, so it really doesn't matter.
>We just need to be consistant. In my opinion, we
>should be scientific and capitalise when we are
>talking about a specific species (like Bald Eagle),
>but not when talking about general, non-scientific
>general things (like eagle).
>
>--LittleDan

Yes, I agree. I think we have a responsibility to use the more correct
name.... *cough* [[Talk:Occam's Razor]] *cough*

I actually have no opinion on this bird issue, I just wanted a chance to
dig up and old battle that I lost and try to win it anew. ;)

-----
Dante Alighieri
dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their
neutrality in times of great moral crisis."
    -Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321