[WikiEN-l] Umlauts in article titles

Mirko Thiessen mt at mirko-thiessen.de
Wed Jun 4 19:34:06 UTC 2003

Hello,

I just came back from a month of absence from Wikipedia and realised,
that lots of article titles about German cities, regions etc. have
been changed from titles WITHOUT umlauts to titles WITH umlauts (e.g.
Moelln is Mölln now). I searched in the naming conventions, but I
didn't find any conventions about this topic. Up to now, I created every
article without umlauts (that means, with ae instead of ä). How should
we handle this in the future? Is there a convention, which I was just
too stupid to find?

And what about the sharp s (ß)? Should it be used in article titles as
well, or should it (as I did so far) be replaced with "ss"?

Mirko (Cordyph)

--
Mirko Thiessen
http://www.mirko-thiessen.de