[WikiEN-l] naming convention for birds and others

JFrost8401 at aol.com JFrost8401 at aol.com
Wed Jun 4 12:41:31 UTC 2003

Fred

the other point I should have made is that non-standard capitalisation
creates problems in itself. How do I distinguish [[penduline tit]], the group Remiz,
from [[Penduline Tit]]  the species Remiz pendulinus. For that matter, how do
I distinguish, in the text , Spotted Crakes, the species, from spotted crakes
(all crakes with spots).

There are good reasons why the normal capitalisation of species have been
adopted. Even some of the invertebrate groups where scientific names are more
common still capitalize the English name if it exists.

Jim