[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Jun 4 09:38:00 UTC 2003

Jimmy-
> If we were writing disclaimers at the top of some pages, we would
> require the disclaimer to be NPOV.  We wouldn't say "This page is bad
> for children."  And we wouldn't say "Anyone who doesn't let children
> read this is a stick in the mud."  We would say "Some may consider
> this page inappropriate for children."

That's fair enough. I will add the appropriate disclaimers to all the
pages about Christianity, which I consider potentially dangerous to
children. Of course I will do so in an NPOV way. ;-)

Can you see where this is going? Standards for what is and isn't
appropriate for children or adults vary so greatly that any offensiveness
disclaimer is bound to be either POV (because we only add it to some
pages) or useless (because we add it to all pages). We can't really solve
this in the wiki way, *if* we are going to add disclaimers/filters, these
have to be configurable. One size doesn't fit it all.

Regards,

Erik