[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 4 00:14:23 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Ray-
>
>>Erik Moeller wrote:
>>

>>>Still, I am not fundamentally opposed to filters on Wikipedia, but I think
>>>whatever solution is used should be NPOV - i.e. allow filtering by all
>>>types of content, not just one specific one. So, for example, if I want to
>>>filter *everything BUT* the sex content, that should also be possible.
>>>
>>Another user may want to filter out religious content, and that would be
>>just fine too.  Is my idea of coding boxes technically feasible?
>>

>You mean checkboxes for various categories below the edit submission
>screen? I'm afraid there'd be too many, and too much controversy around
>which ones we need, for that to be workable. Also integration with RC,
>diffs etc. would be tricky.

Not checkboxes, which would indeed require so many that they would
become rigid and/or useless.  I would propose searchable write-in boxes
where words and/or codes could be entered.  I prefer codes to words
because its easier to keep them short, and to build them into some sort
of hierarchical structure.  The objection that people are most likely to
raise against codes is the difficulty of remembering them all.  In the
early stages getting the boxes to work and become acceptable would be
more important than developing any system of codes for them.

The primary use of these boxes would be for indexing by subject.
 Secondarily it can be easily be adapted for a wide variety of flags
ranging from "obscene" material to Wikipedia certified material.  In
Wiktionary it could be used for language codes to ease indexing by
language. .

To interate with RC a simple "C" could indicate a code change in the way
that an "M" now indicates a minor change.

>>>At which point I refer you to my pet project, team certification :-)
>>>
>>Have you elaborated on that somewhere?
>>

>Many times in many places ;-). Originally here:
>http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2002-October/001089.html

Okay, now I vaguely remember that discussion.  I didn't jump into it
then, which is probaby why I remembered nothing.  I have mixed feelings
 about it, but not ones that are coherent enough to make comments at
this time.

Eclecticology