[WikiEN-l] Just to throw this out there...

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Jun 3 21:01:02 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On a wiki, we risk "flagging wars", and by defining what "can be
> considered offensive" we are leaving NPOV behind. Daniel Ehrenberg
> suggested a similar thing a few weeks ago and said that he thought the
> goal of getting Wikipedia into all schools would be worth ignoring the
> NPOV issue.

But he was talking about omitting such content, not just flagging
it.

> I do not agree. By implementing a "family filter" we may
> convince some parents to use Wikipedia -- and convince others who want
> their children to be raised in an open, progressive manner to ignore it.

But I didn't recommend that we implement a family filter.  Google
doesn't filter -- but they do allow end users to configure what sorts
of results are presented.

> Still, I am not fundamentally opposed to filters on Wikipedia, but I think
> whatever solution is used should be NPOV - i.e. allow filtering by all
> types of content, not just one specific one. So, for example, if I want to
> filter *everything BUT* the sex content, that should also be possible.
> At which point I refer you to my pet project, team certification :-)

*nod* Well, sure.  That's why I chose the term 'content advisory', so
as to indicate that we should implement a system that is flexible.

--Jimbo