[WikiEN-l] Sex articles on wikipedia

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Tue Jun 3 02:28:07 UTC 2003

LittleDan wrote:

>I think all of those redirect articles are just
>unnecessary. There is already (I think) a policy to
>use the technical terms for everything, or at least the
>semi-technical terms, so those slang expressions don't
>fit, and the links (as well as the article text
>itself) should reflect this. If somebody (for some
>reason) searches for 'blow job' and doesn't get any
>title results, he can just scroll down a little and
>see the article on 'oral sex' (this isn't an issue yet
>but I know someone will bring it up). If someone links
>to 'blow job' and creates a page, someone should
>quickly delete the page and change the link to [[oral
>sex]].

Wouldn't it be easier to redirect [[Blow job]] to [[Oral sex]]
so that we'll never need to delete such a page?
This is standard Wikipedia practice in other areas;
we shouldn't make exceptions for sex.

>This really shouldn't be an issue. Just
>imagine a 7-year-old looking for an article on blowing
>bubbles, so she searches for "bubble blow" and gets an
>article on oral sex in the title search.

She won't.  Check it out for yourself!
She *will* get it in the article search,
but deleting [[Blow job]] won't change that.

-- Toby