[WikiEN-l] Re: blanket reverts

Dante Alighieri dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com
Mon Jun 2 19:45:10 UTC 2003

At 12:08 PM 6/2/2003, you wrote:
>I ***strongly*** disagree. I think a kid who keeps
>screaming for sweets is asking for more than sweets.
>The solution is certainly not either to never give or
>to always give.
>A sensible way is to understand why he is screaming,
>to make him understand that things are not received
>always when one scream for them. But *never* indulging
>someone for craving for attention or sweets is
>*really* bad imho.
>Option 1 and 3 are by the worst option.
>Mother point of view.
>My kids are perfectly equilibrated kids, with good
>teeths, and very few tantrums. Indulgement from time
>to time does not spoil. Strict behavior ruin spirit.

Anthere, you take the analogy too far. Of course you are correct that it is
about more than just sweets with the children, and that the two absolutes
would be bad... but only because you care about the children, and your goal
is the long term welfare of the children.

In the analogy though, the child is Michael, and our goal is not his
long-term well-being, but getting him to stop vandalizing the Wikipedia.
Therefore, I hold that option 3 (never giving him sweets -> always
reverting everything) is the best way to handle the situation.

-----
Dante Alighieri
dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their
neutrality in times of great moral crisis."
    -Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321